Member details
Gebruikersnaam
Wachtwoord
 
Wachtwoord vergeten?
 

Forum > Madeleine police begin new search

 
John

John

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6755587.stm
Portuguese police have begun searching an area of scrubland nine miles (14.5km) from where four-year-old Madeleine McCann went missing.
A Dutch newspaper has published details of an anonymous letter it received alleging Madeleine was buried under rocks in the area being searched.

Police cordoned off a road in the village of Arao in the early morning and moved in with sniffer dogs.

Madeleine vanished from a holiday apartment in the Algarve on 3 May.

Remote tracks

The village where the search is taking place is close to Praia da Luz - the resort from where Madeleine went missing.

It lies just north of the main road from the resort to Faro. The road leads up to remote hillside tracks which span across farmland and wooded areas.

Officers from a section of the police called GNR arrived in vans and led sniffer dogs to the area to be searched.

Details of the anonymous letter were published in De Telegraaf on Wednesday.



The Dutch newspaper received the letter and a map on Monday and passed it on to police, delaying publication of the information.

Madeleine's parents Gerry and Kate, of Rothley, Leicestershire, condemned the decision to publish the letter.

On his internet blog, Mr McCann said the letter and accompanying map should have been properly examined first.

He called the publication "irresponsible" and "cruel" journalism.

"We were extremely disappointed in the publication of the anonymous letter in De Telegraaf claiming to know where Madeleine is buried," he said.

"Although all information will be taken seriously, we were very upset that the credibility of this letter had not been examined and, more importantly, [it was] published before the Portuguese police had an opportunity to investigate the claim, and search the area if appropriate without massive media attention."

Dutch police are studying similarities between the new letter and one received last year by De Telegraaf pointing to the whereabouts of Belgian step-sisters Stacey Lemmens, seven, and Nathalie Mahy, 10.

The Belgian girls were murdered in June 2006 after they disappearing from Liege.

On the day the letter was received, police found their bodies at the spot indicated on an enclosed map.
15 jun 2007, 11:08